Church of St Jean sur Coudenberg
In the 18th century, Archduke Charles de Lorraine, Governor General of the Netherlands and brother-in-law of Empress Maria Theresa of Austria, ordered the construction of the current Place Royale in Brussels. Place Royale was to be built around the church of Saint-Jacques sur Coudenberg of which the Archduke laid the first stone in 1776.
The architects Guimard and
Montoyer were entrusted with building the
neoclassical structure. The very fine interior,
inspired by classical Antiquity, offers a rare type of semicircular
vaults, adorned with coffers. The Ionic and Corinthian capitals are
absolutely true to the Greek orders.
This was the church of Coudenberg Abbey. It’s one of the finest examples of classicising architecture from the 18th century in Belgium.
Today, the parish of Saint-Jacques sur Coudenberg continues its spiritual mission by opening itself up to the City and the wider world. It’s also the church of the diocese to the Armed Forces.
Place Royale - Impasse
de Borgendael 1 - 1000 Bruxelles
T: 32 (0) 2 502 18 25
Mon, Fri: 12.30
Tue, Wed, Thu: 17.15
Sun: 09.00, 11.00 and 18.00